Image Map

Tuesday 31 May 2016

Do you You Tube in the classroom?

Hey there friends!  How often do you use You Tube in your classroom?  Does your school district block You Tube?  Do you hate having to skip those annoying ads?

Well today I am going to share with you a way to download a You Tube video so that you can either save it to your computer or to a usb stick and then play it at school without any worries.
I wish I had known about this before the time I put a You Tube video up about the solar system and one of my darlings pointed out the swear word in the comments.  The walk of shame to the Principals office to inform her of my gaff was enough to turn me off You Tube forever, which would have been a real shame because there are so many great videos that support our teaching.

So let's get to it! This is super easy by the way.

First find the You Tube video that you want to download.  My class loves Storybots and we are looking at days of the week so I chose this vid



Then add an ss just after the www. and before the youtube bit in the address bar, just like in the pic below




 When you click enter it will take you to a screen that looks a bit like this.  Click on the green download button I always save it as an MP4 at 720p because I have been told that is the best quality.  You can save it at a lower quality if you need to save file space.  There will be a pop up box that says you can download a program that makes it easy to save videos but I just do it this way and I haven't had any issues.


That is pretty much it, you will see it downloading in the corner of your screen, then just save it to where you need it :) too easy right!



I hope this was helpful and that you will now never suffer the embarrassment of having to explain to your kids and Principal about swear words in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. What an easy solution to downloading a video from YouTube! Thank you so much....you've just made my life a little easier. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip!!! Technology isn't always reliable so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip, I had no idea you could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous!! Thank you for sharing! I am always worried about those other sites that continue to ask for credit card info or are full of adds and you aren't sure which is the clicking link! This is awesome! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete