Image Map

Monday 6 July 2015

Healthy eats for Teachers- Greek lamb with potatoes

Like many teachers and working Mum's I aim to serve healthy, nutritious meals to my family on a regular basis.  Does this always happen? Ummmm, no....BUT I always plan to and that is important.

Seriously though, who has time for cooking dinner after a long day of teaching?  I know all I want to do is to put my feet up and have a liquid dinner (I'm not talking about protein shakes, ya know).  My family often has other ideas though so I need to make sure I am organised so that they won't be hungry, we won't be spending money on take away food and I won't be the size of a house by the end of term.

How do I do this? Lots of planning and preparation, to find out more about my planning and preparation visit my Healthy Eats for Teachers page by clicking on the tab above where you will find recipes and weekly meal plans for a family of four.

Here is one to take with you and try out for your self. This can be prepared in advance and frozen or cooked up straight away.




My family loves Greek food and Greek lemon potatoes are a favourite in our house.  This recipe combines lamb with Greek lemon potatoes, yum!





Greek lamb with potatoes. (serves 4)

I use lamb loin chops for this recipe but you could also use lamb cutlets or lamb forequarter chops.  I use enough for each person to have 3 loin chops each but you can adjust this to whatever your family needs are.  I have used 12 lamb loin chops in this recipe, if your using more you might need to increase the amounts in the marinade and use a larger pan when cooking.



Ingredients

12 lamb loin chops with the fat trimmed
olive oil
1 brown onion sliced (you could also put in some small whole onions or eschallots instead)
1 lemon zested and juiced
4-5 cloves of garlic minced.
1 Tbspn of dijon or whole seeded mustard (you could also do half of each)
1 Tbspn of fresh rosemary
1 Tbspn of oregano (fresh or dried)
1 Tbspn of thyme (fresh or dried)
ground black pepper to taste
Any starchy potato that is good for roasting ( I used Dutch Creams) in this recipe I used 4 large potatoes cut lengthways into wedges.
1/2 cup of chicken stock
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste.

Combine the onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, herbs and olive oil.  Pour them over the trimmed lamb chops, cover and leave in the fridge to marinade for 6-12 hours ( I did mine for 6) or at this stage you can put it all in a large ziplock bag and freeze.
When you are ready to cook add your potatoes to a large baking pan along with the stock, lemon juice and some salt and pepper, cook on 180 C for 20 minutes.  Arrange your lamb over the top of the potatoes and roast in the oven at 180 C for about 20 minutes. After 20 mins turn the lamb and roast for another 15 minutes. If you want your lamb and potatoes to be crunchy around the edges, blast the last 10 minutes at 200 C.

Divide the potatoes and lamb on the plates, scoop some of the divine sauce from the bottom of the pan and ladle over the lamb and potatoes. Serve with steamed green beans or broccoli.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Tania - can't wait to follow this each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! I have quite a few recipes ready to share, I hope you will enjoy them.

      Delete